Smoothies are a great grab-n-go meal, if you have a blender and the ingredients handy, then it’s a just a quick mix for a ride to work treat or post workout refreshment. Granted, you will need to wash the mixer later, but that’s not so bad!
However, to get the maximum benefits from your smoothie, you’ll want to do more than just using fruits and water, you’ll want to select certain mix-in ingredients that will maximize the nutritional value.
When you’re thinking about crafting your smoothie, consider your preferences – how sweet do you like it? Do you want heavy or a lighter fruit flavor? How nutritious do you need it to be? Once you have an idea, start pulling ingredients from the following three categories:
Liquids – every smoothie needs liquid, much of the flavor and consistency will depend on what you start with:
- Water – simple, straightforward and provides the most hydration.
- Almond Milk – something smoother for a creamier mix.
- Fruit Juice – sweet or tart, this can provide great flavors.
Produce – while fresh is usually best, making use of frozen ingredients gives you a colder drink that still packs a punch of flavor and nutrition:
- Berries – the perfect smoothie add-ins, consider strawberries, blueberries, raspberries.
- Greens – a great way to eat your veggies, kale and spinach are nutritional powerhouses.
- Fruit – your favorite fruit, whether bananas, kiwi, or avocado, provide additional flavor and benefits.
Mixes – here is where you can power up your smoothie with more essential vitamins and nutrients. This is really what makes this drink into a meal:
- MaxN-Fuze – if you need a healthy morning wake up or midday pick me up, MaxN-Fuze provides the vitamins and nutrients that will take your smoothie to the next level.
- Flavored Protein Powder – whether you’re reducing your meat intake or just need more for working out, protein powder makes a great addition.
- Chia Seeds – an excellent antioxidant with good texture, this will really make your smoothie feel filling.
Be your own mixologist and experiment with the flavors you enjoy and the benefits that you need the most.